Attack on US consulate in Libya 'unplanned'
The United States ambassador to the UN has said the attack on the country's consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was spontaneous.
Susan Rice said the current US assessment shows it was not a coordinated, premeditated attack.
Rice told ‘Fox News Sunday’ yesterday that protesters gathering near the consulate were joined by others with extremist ties. She said they brought heavy weapons possibly left over from the Libyan revolution last year.
Chris Stevens, the US ambassador to Libya, was killed last Tuesday along with three other Americans, as protesters stormed the consulate. President Barack Obama has vowed that the attackers would be brought to justice, but has also stressed that the US respects religious freedom.
The protests were set off by a low-budget, crudely-produced film called ‘Innocence of Muslims’, that insulted the Prophet Mohammed.
A 14-minute excerpt of the film, which is English and dubbed into Arabic, has been available on YouTube, although some countries have cut access to the site.