Doctors run tests on steel-plant supervisor
A worker who collapsed and passed out when trying to save two colleagues at an Abu Dhabi steel plant has regained consciousness but remains in a serious condition.
All three men had inhaled hydrogen sulphide - a highly toxic gas - that is believed to have been created when saltwater was disturbed at the bottom of a tank during maintenance work.
The three were found collapsed in the saltwater reservoir. Two of the men died.
A friend of the third man said that now the supervisor was conscious, doctors were checking to see if he had suffered brain damage.
There was further drama at the site last week when a fire broke out. Abu Dhabi Civil Defence confirmed yesterday that several fire-fighting units had been sent to put out
All plant staff were evacuated safely and the fire was contained.