Electrician paralysed after shock
The boss of an electrician who was left paralysed after being electrocuted at work has gone on trial over the incident.
Dubai Court of Misdemeanours was told how the Indian worker is no longer able to walk after receiving an electric shock and fell 5m from a ladder during the incident in July 2010.
The owner of the company, a 35-year-old Indian businessman, denied charges of causing injury to the 22-year-old labourer by failing to provide sufficient safety equipment for the worker.
The court heard the victim was working with a Bangladeshi labourer to fix air-conditioning in a warehouse in Al Qusais.
The Bangladeshi said: “He was cutting off electricity from the air-conditioning when the accident happened. “He was on a ladder when he received an electric shock and fell to the ground.
“I called our company owner, Dubai Police and an ambulance.”
A report from Dubai Municipality shows he used his hand to see if there was electricity coming from the cable, and had not been trained properly in safety procedures.
The defendant meanwhile, claims he provided the victim with proper safety equipment. He also added that he paid the victim’s medical bills.
The case was adjourned.