Floyd Mayweather ready for Cotto fight
As you'd expect, Floyd Mayweather is talking a great game ahead of his fight against Miguel Cotto.
The American ace faces the highly- thought-of Puerto Rican on May 5 as the unbeaten 35-year-old steps up in weight looking to add to his already impressive legacy.
Mayweather had been hoping to put on the fight that everyone wants against Manny Pacquiao on that date, but the bout once again proved impossible to sort out. So the trash talker-in-chief has been forced to take on Cotto instead and, while he’d prefer to punch ‘Pacman’, he’s now intent on, and confident of, taking out the 31-year-old.
“I never write off any opponent until I meet him in the ring,” the multiple division champion said. “I am aware that I will be moving up in weight for the first time since 2007, which not only poses a challenge for me, but it does give Cotto a slight advantage because he will remain at his comfort weight of 154.
“While many may see this as Cotto’s chance and opportunity to end my undefeated record, I think that it’s also important to remember that I chose to move up in weight and give Cotto that advantage because I am confident that I can beat him at any weight.
“I’m well aware of Cotto’s potential and the advantages that he possesses in the ring on any given night, but come May 5, those advantages aren’t going to do him any good. Fight fans, get ready, because I’m about to dethrone the current king of the 154-pound weight class.”
While preparing for his showdown in Las Vegas (where else?) Mayweather wasn’t able to resist a dig at arch-rival Pacquiao, claiming he wouldn’t be surprised if he lost his next fight.
The fearsome Filipino goes up against Timothy Bradley on June 9 and Mayweather said: “I’m pretty sure Pacquiao has a tough task on his hands with the young fighter - I don’t really know his name.
“But I’ve had a chance to watch him and he can box a little bit,” ‘Money’ added. So it’s not going to be an easy task for him.”