Workers die in 'gas' tragedy at Abu Dhabi steel plant
Two men died after reportedly inhaling deadly gas at an Abu Dhabi steel plant.
A supervisor who tried to save the pair is in a serious condition in hospital after also inhaling hydrogen sulphide, a source who treated the injured man told 7DAYS.
All three were found collapsed in a saltwater reservoir at a production plant in the Mussafah area of the city.
It seems the men were not aware that they needed to wear breathing apparatus to work in the reservoir. A spokesman confirmed the company is investigating the circumstances of the incident. The tragedy occurred on Monday when an Asian worker was doing maintenance work in the reservoir, which stores saltwater that is desalinated and used in the steel-making process.
It is believed he may have disturbed the saltwater at the bottom of the tank, causing an eruption of hydrogen sulphide, which is a highly toxic gas. It can be found in stagnant seawater, especially if it contains sewage, oil and other pollutants that mix with it in the sea.
The source said it appears the worker passed out and fell into the water. Another south Asian worker tried to rescue him but was overcome by the gas.
The supervisor rushed to help but also fainted.